I have written a good number of posts about the issue of “socialization” in homeschool over the years. Since the subject still comes up regularly, I thought it might be good to make an index of some of the more interesting posts on the subject. I will list the posts in reverse chronological order with a brief description because some of the titles are not very precise with respect to the content of the articles. I would like to state for the record that we know home schools, government schools, children, parents, and teachers vary. These posts are about our experience and observations.
- Are homeshool children too sheltered? (September 26, 2013) The advantages of the socialization that occurs in a fairly typical homeschool as compared to that of a typical government school when the students arrive at “Big State U.”
- Boys are not well served in government school (Septemer 18, 2013) A review of an article by Christina Hoff Sommers about why boys are at distinct academic and social disadvantages in typical government school settings.
- Why not skip high school? (Part 6) That supposedly thorny socialization question (March 25, 2013) The advantages of the socialization that occurs in a fairly typical homeschool as compared to that of a typical government school when the students arrive at the local community college.
- Public school challenges (May 4, 2013) It is sad that some parents chose to homeschool because the socialization and academic environment of government school is so bad rather than for any of the many positive reasons to homeschool.
- Another day off at the government school (December 1, 2006) People are burdened with many challenges and much time is wasted when they chose to send their children to government school.
- Homeschool (false) pride(November 20, 2006) A downside to homeschooling that starts with the parents.
- What to say about homeschool: A three part series with some of my thoughts after having homeschooled for two years about what to say to trusted relatives and friends who had serious doubts about homeschool.
- Matt Walsh, one of my favorite blogger’s take on homeschool socialization.